Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 1995 10:52:14 -0700
Edward Baker, Warmest greetings to you!

Just checked out the ALHFAM site on the Web. Congratulations! And many
thanks for including a link to The Old Barracks Museum (Trenton, NJ). I will
be sure to add ALHFAM to our Resources page when next at the office.

The Mystic Seaport site, BTW, is very attractively laid out, easy to
navigate, and has its information "chunked" into manageable portions.

Barracks is living proof that a small site can make a presence on the Web--
on modest budget. Our access provider is Voicenet, a local company (Hatboro,
PA) which charges, for its "personal account," a $50 setup fee and $20 per
month for Internet access and 10K of server space for the Web page. The
pages are created using Wordperfect 6.1 and Envoy, Wordperfect's filter,
which allows for additional HTML code to be added manually.

We recently purchased a low-end graphics editor by Inset Systems, called the
Hijaacks Graphics Suite ($59 on special, but commonly $99), which looks like
it will fulfill our simple graphics needs (converting, resizing, and simple
touchups of images).  A friend of a staff member donated a hand-held scanner.

On average, 4 to 12 hours per week is allotted for maintaining the page and
attending to related chores, such as answering mail queries. Our next
project is a small virtual exhibit on the Battle of Trenton, which should be
up by mid-January.

The site's address is http://www.voicenet.com/~barracks.

We would appreciate comments from those who visit. Most pages include a
"mailto:" link.

Stacy F. Roth                     |    [log in to unmask]
 Co-Director, History on the Hoof
 Visiting Scholar, Rutgers University
 Webmaster, Old Barracks Museum
 P.O. Box 383                      |    Voice: (215) 943-1232
 Langhorne, PA 19047               |