Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 1996 17:56:59 -0400
Isnce seceral persons expressed concern about this individual, I will
update the list. On January 18, he robbed a bank in Houghton, michigan. He
shot one teller, and took two others hostage. The bank is located on main
street, near the police station. He did not get away. The police shot out
the tires of his car, and entered into negotiations. He claimed to have
strapped explosives to one of the women, and held what looked to be a
dtenonator in his hand. I don't know if the explosives were real or not.
The police negotiated with him for over sixteen hours. The weather was
below zero, and a blizzard that dropped ovewr two feet of snow on the
ground, with an extreme wind chill factor. After repeated attempts to
convince him to surrender, he was shot dead.
        THe area has excellant mental health facilities. He had been
diagnosed as a paranoid schizopherniac (spelling?). The police did all they
could to bring about a peaceful solution. I only post this since several
persons expressed concern. God rest his soul, and we pray for the clerk who
was shot. She will probably lose her arm.

>If it's the message I think you're referring to, I went and read his
>entire web page. I felt that his physical needs were being taken care of.
>I can't cure him so I don't feel responsible for his mental stability. I
>do think people like him should never be forgotten. We come across people
>like that every day and need to frequently look at our own guildelines
>for dealing with it.
>It's related to beggars. If I think begging itself is immoral, I have no
>trouble. But I'm not sure that it is. And I don't have time or resources to
>analyze every request. I have a friend who puts food in her purse
>whenever we're walking downtown. She offers this to beggars. It seems to
>me to be a well-thought out compromise.
>
>Cathy

  "Motivated primarily by their own inner vision, a desire for riches, and
an unbounded faith in the abundance of nature, they were willing to simply
go out in the field, dig into the earth, and find out what was there"
                                        David Kruase
                        __The Making of a Mining District__

Richard A. Fields
Graduate Student of Industrial Archaeology
Michigan Tech. Univ.