From:
zahava doering <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 08:14:58 -0500
Included in an internal message to the Smithsonian staff on September 14, the following paragraph was included:

"We have placed books at museum information desks so visitors can record
  their thoughts on these trying times.  We will keep these reflections
  because they are part of our history."

In view of last week's tragic events, we can expect that museums will have many visitors who are feeling upset, vulnerable and helpless.  One way in which museum could actively respond to this possibility is by providing them with opportunities to
express their feelings, thoughts and grief.  Comment books -- or comment pages -- are one option.  Museums, beyond the Smithsonian, are seen as the keepers of the Nation's history and as places of collective remembrance.  This is another option of reaching out.