From:
ALISON HUNTER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 08:14:36 -0600
At theTate Geological Museum, Casper College, Wyoming, we are busy
preparing dinosaur bones. At presen,t the completed  real bones are
displayed in cases or stored for research. For our full size
apatosaur mount in the museum we are molding and casting each bone so
that the final exhibit will be a reproduction.

The plastic bones are light and durable and hence easier and safer
to mount. Real fossil bones are extremely heavy and brittle. At
present we have a front leg of the apatosaur mounted so that
visitors can touch and compare size by standing next to it. We also
have an allosaur arm mounted next to a human arm (replicas of
course!) Being able to "interact" with the dinosaurs in this way is a
big hit with our visitors.

The real bones can be seen under preparation through the windows of
the lab - and visitors are encouraged to ask preparators questions
about the work. Yes, for those who just have to touch a real dinosaur
bone we have samples available.

The originals are available to the serious researcher without
disruption of the displays.
R. Alison Hunter, Museum Director
Tate Geological Museum, Casper College
125 College Drive, Casper, WY 82601
Phone/Fax (307) 268-2514   e-mail: [log in to unmask]