From:
Dora Chiu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 07:13:56 PDT
A colleague of mine just wrote her thesis paper on this issue of
reproductions vs. real artifacts.  As part of her paper she did a study
at the CMC which Alex had mentioned.  Her data showed that people were
aware of the fact that many of the pieces shown at the CMC were
reproductions but they spent as much time studying them and reading all
about them as they would real artifacts.

So, with regards to David's suggestion that reproductions would speed up
the lines- according to this study, I don't know if they would???

>Date:         Thu, 15 Oct 1998 11:52:31 -0400
>From:         Alex Avdichuk <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: use of original artifacts in exhibits
>To:           [log in to unmask]
>
>At the Canadian Museum of Civilization, the History Hall is filled with
>reproductions of artifacts which are in the museum's collection but
remain
>in storage.  These reproductions are treated like real artifacts, i.e.
the