From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 13:45:45 -0500
Hi Charles:

> It is interesting how this thread has gone from corsets,
fashion
> and 19th century garb to the concept of foot binding.
From a
> researcher's point of view, both practices represent
cultural
> aspects from a certain society; American/European -
corsets,
> Chinese - footbinding, but I have to wonder how the idea
of foot
> binding could be construed from corsets?

There was a reference in a message by Candace Perry
(05/15/02 10:20 am) that raised the topic of foot binding.

> I remember reading about about foot binding, and how there
> were still women alive in China who underwent this
practice,
> does anyone else know about this?

To the best of my knowledge, foot binding is no longer
practiced in China.  There are some women, born before the
Revolution of 1911 who are still living with the results of
their bound feet.

> I agree with Jay Heuman that although foot binding may be
> 'inhumane' or 'bad' that it is hard to place our 'western'
views on
> the practices of another culture.  But I think there are
certain
> traditional practices that are alien concepts to western
society:
> foot-binding, genital mutilation (central Africa), as well
as others.

Exactly my point.  The 'why' of foot binding is beyond the
comprehension of 21st century Americans.  So, judgments are
proclaimed without an understanding of the complexities of
the Chinese culture in which foot binding was developed and
persisted for over 1,000 years.

No, I do not claim to have this understanding.  Then again,
I'm not criticizing a culture that was - due to an internal
revolution - changed.  Was foot binding eliminated because
the Chinese men didn't want to be cruel to their women?  Or,
did those who carried out the Revolution of 1911 have other
motives (i.e., economic)?

(Keep in mind that, following the 1911 Revolution, the
Chinese economy drastically took off because women began to
enter the work force.  The men had kept over one billion
women out of the work force because of foot binding . . .
so, the Revolution allowed women to go to school in higher
percentages, and to work and contribute to a growing
economy.)

> I'm trying to recall what exactly foot-binding was;
weren't the
> feet bound at a young age (tying them into place and
literally
> folding them in half), in an effort to make the foot look
smaller?

For a detailed description, see:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/beekeeper/foot.html.

Sincerely,
Jay Heuman, Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum, 2200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE, 68102
342-3300 (telephone)     342-2376 (fax)     www.joslyn.org

Copyright retained.  My opinions - no one else's.  If you
have a problem with what I wrote, take it up with me
personally.  If this is illegal where you are, do not read
it!