From:
Keni Sturgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 14:53:14 -0700
The Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum (in St. Michaels, MD) used to, and i assume still does, offer a Lighthouse Overnight Program.  It was offered to families in the summer and to scouts (and/or other community organizations) in the Fall and Spring.

The program was mainly geared for boys and girls ages 7-13.  They were only offered in the Spring through Fall, as we were holding them in an historic lighthouse, without heating or AC, and much of the program was outside, so it could only last as long as there was some sun.  It seems to me that the minimum # was 5 and their chaperones and the max was 15 + chaperones (we couldn't sleep more than that in the lighthouse).  We hired an educator to conduct this program and they developed and lead activities from drop off (5:30 p.m. I think) until about 8:30 or 9 with a break for dinner.  After 9, the kid divided up into groups, with one adult per group, and kept "watch" over the lighthouse during the night, while the educator tried to sleep.  In the morning, scouts tidied up their things and the lighthouse and were done by 8 a.m. at the latest.  We charged for everyone and I do not remember the cost, but the program was always full and covered the educator's salary.  We had a ch
aperone requirement of 1-5.  All children had signed waivers and releases.

Hope this helps.
Keni Sturgeon
Jensen Arctic Museum