From:
Rebecca Morrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 22:22:10 +0000
Dear Colleagues:

We are pleased to announce a call for papers for a multidisciplinary
conference, The Art of Gender in Everyday Life II, to take place at Idaho
State University,
March 4-5, 2005.  Abstracts must be postmarked by October 8, 2004.

This conference is an occasion to showcase current work being done across
the disciplines in the area of gender studies.  The Art of Gender in
Everyday Life II will be a special opportunity to network with colleagues in
the relaxed setting of Pocatello, Idaho, nestled in the picturesque
mountains of the Bannock Range.  The conference promises to be
thought-provoking and will include a keynote by Lourdes Portillo on the
evening of March 4.

Many participants in last year’s conference commented on the friendly
atmosphere and the excellent diversity of topics presented.  Here is a
sample of some of the comments:

“Everyone was so kind and gracious to all of the presenters, and all the
papers were truly top notch!”

“Since coming back to school I have had so many wonderful experiences and
met so many supportive people…this conference has been the epitome of this
transformation.  It will take me a long time to digest all of the amazing
ideas presented here, and the friendships I’ve begun will last even longer.”

“What a great weekend! Thank you for an organized, professional experience.
I said…today that it is hard to come down off my Pocatello high (which is
something, prior to this weekend, I could never imagine that I would have
said.) It was very enjoyable, and I look forward to future conferences.”

It is our goal to continue in that tradition and to create a collegial,
supportive and nurturing environment for the discussion of gender issues
across the disciplines.

Please find attached a formal call for papers as well as an announcement of
our student paper competition.  Both are also included immediately following
this letter, should you prefer not to open an attachment.  On behalf of the
entire Conference Committee, we invite you to join us for this important
event.

Kind regards,

Rebecca Morrow, Ph.D.
Director
Anderson Gender Resource Center

Susan Barger
Associate Director
Women’s Studies Program

*****
THE ART OF GENDER IN EVERYDAY LIFE II
A Multidisciplinary Conference

Idaho State University
Pocatello, ID
March 4 & 5, 2005

ABSTRACT POSTMARK DEADLINE: Friday, October 8, 2004

Gender is not a given.  Its meaning and significance are constantly in flux.
This conference will explore the various ways in which gender is crafted,
celebrated, endured, deciphered, expressed or, in short, the art of how it
is lived on a daily basis.

ALL submissions related to the art of living gendered lives will be
considered.
•       The committee is especially interested in submissions that address the
following:

WOMEN’S STUDIES (WS) vs. GENDER STUDIES (GS)? (for example, differences in
content and program purpose, the assumption of inclusiveness in GS, the
relationship to issues of sexuality and gender identity, the place of WS in
light of GS, etc.)

THE COSTS OF SEXUAL ASSAULT (upon, for example, future health behavior,
interpersonal relationships, the community, law enforcement, universities,
etc.)

GENDER AND MEN (for example: men & nonviolence; construction of masculinity)

* The committee will give special consideration, in recognition of Women’s
History Month, to any papers that incorporate a historical perspective and
especially those that consider the work of women “behind-the-scenes” whose
contributions may have formerly been overlooked.

* The committee is also especially interested in receiving submissions from
graduate and advanced undergraduate students.  The committee will hold a
student paper competition and award prizes for the graduate and
undergraduate submissions they select.

PRESENTATION FORMATS: Presentations may take several different formats,
including:
papers (resulting from group work or individuals); posters; slide
presentations; films; readings; and performances. Presentations should be no
longer than 20 minutes in duration.

Complete panels can also be submitted.  Panel submissions will only be
considered, however, if the following information is included: cover sheets
and abstracts for a complete group of four participants; and the specific
question to be addressed.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: Submissions will be accepted BY POST ONLY.
Please enclose the following items for the committee’s consideration:
1.      an ABSTRACT of no more than 300 words
The title should appear clearly at the top of the abstract; the presenter’s
name should not appear on the abstract.
2.      a COVER SHEET with the following information: presenter’s name;
presentation title; presentation format; institutional affiliation
(including department) and academic status; phone number, street and email
addresses; A/V needs; and a 50 word bio.
3.      a DISK with both the abstract and cover sheet as abstracts, affiliation,
email addresses and bios will be reproduced in a booklet for all presenters
4.      a CHECK for the $45 registration fee made out to the Anderson Center;
this fee will help us to cover conference expenses including meal costs and
a ticket for keynote speaker Lourdes Portillo
           PLEASE NOTE: In the event of an unaccepted abstract, this check
will be         destroyed.

Forward all abstracts to:
Anderson Gender Resource Center
Idaho State University, Campus Box 8141
Pocatello, ID  83209-8141
Attn:   The Art of Gender in Everyday Life Committee II

PLEASE NOTE: Should your abstract be accepted, you will be required to
provide a copy of your paper to the Committee by NO LATER THAN JANUARY 24 so
that your session discussant will have time to review your work.

QUESTIONS?  Email us at: [log in to unmask] or check out our website at
www.isu.edu/andersoncenter

*****
THE ART OF GENDER IN EVERYDAY LIFE II
A Multidisciplinary Conference
Idaho State University
March 4-5, 2005

STUDENT PAPER PRIZES

Awards:  The Conference Committee will award two separate prizes (one
undergraduate and one graduate) of $250.  Additional Director’s Prizes of
$25 each may be awarded at the Committee’s discretion.
Competition guidelines:
•       The paper must be presented by the author at the March 2005 The Art of
Gender in Everyday Life II conference at Idaho State University in
Pocatello, ID.
•       The paper may be from any discipline.
•       The paper must be given in English.
•       Only the version of the paper that is actually read at the conference is
eligible. The paper should be approximately 8-12 pages, double-spaced,
exclusive of bibliography. The abstract and bibliography should be included
with the paper.
•       Five hard copies and a disk containing the conference version of the paper
must be presented at the registration desk by 9am on Saturday, March 5.
They should be addressed to: Rebecca Morrow - Student Paper Competition. NO
LATE SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
•       A cover page must be attached with the following information: the author's
name, institutional affiliation (including department), divisional status
(graduate or undergraduate) and email address; the name, address, and
telephone number of the student's advisor; and the name of the session where
the paper was or is to be presented.
•       Shared authorship papers are eligible provided that the category in which
they are entered (i.e. undergraduate or graduate) is that appropriate for
the most senior author. Papers co-authored with professionals are not
eligible for the student paper competition.
•       All papers submitted by undergraduates must be accompanied by a note from
the student's advisor indicating that the work is original and that the
professor believes it to be appropriate for presentation at the conference.
Judging:  A panel of judges from a variety of disciplines will blind review
submissions. The panel will employ standard scholarly criteria in making its
awards.
For information about the conference, consult our website,
www.isu.edu/andersoncenter.
Questions about the competition or the conference can be directed to