Date:
Thu, 5 May 1994 11:14:28 EDT
According to Lynne Teather:

> > I believe the cite you are looking for is:
> >
> >      Schroeder, Fred.
> >        "Designing Your Exhibits: Seven Ways To Look At An Artifact,"
> >      American Association for State and Local History Technical Leaflet
> >      91, Vol. 31, No. 11, 11/1976.

....... There are now many other works from
> material cultural research to educational methods which echo the
> Schroeder approach.  There were writers who also went before this
> particular author, notably The Victoria and Albert's  Madelaine Mainstone
> (former Head of Education) and her predecessor. Rene   as well as
> Checkosolovakian museologists such as Z.Z. Stransky (my hero).
> One of my first experiences in museums
> was meeting Madelaine Mainstone at the V& A. Even though, I was very
> junior she took the time to outline the approach to reading artifacts
> that she used in her museum educational practice. It was extremely
> inspirational and I can tell you that the approach is a fundamental
> belief in my sense of the magic of museums to this day.
>
> Since many of the writers will not have read Schroeder, it is
> interesting how the method of approaching objects from the object out, if you
> like, is really one inherent way of looking at material. (There are of
> course others).

> Lynne Teather,
> Museum Studies Program,
> University of Toronto,
> Toronto, Ontario,

Along those lines, I would be curious to know if anyone has
applied these principles to 'reading' natural history objects -
rocks, fossils, mounted specimens, etc.  If so, can you provide
a citation or two?  Thanks.
--
Paisley S. Cato, Ph.D.                          e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Curator of Collections                          phone:  703-666-8634