From:
Jack Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 1994 12:17:52 -0800
Robbin,
In two recent transactions I purchased a steel sculpture and the English
language rights of a Swedish publication.

The bill of sale for the sculpture specifically gives me copyright in the
image as well as the physical artifact.  The artist was granted
permission to include an image of the sculpture in his portfolio and in
promotional material.

The book contract gives me copyright of the English translation.  My
contract with the translator indicates that the translation is a work
done for hire as defined by current copyright law.

I would say that all rights not specifically enumerated in an instrument
transfering property rights are retained by the original
artist/author/property right holder.

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab