From:
"Smith, Gregory D" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 14:24:18 -0500
I just wanted to weigh in on the digital teaching comments.  I'm a scientist
and have used Powerpoint in presentations and teaching.  There is a huge
benefit to having presentations in a digital format if you intend to
transmit your materials to web users (remote teaching, etc.) or when taking
your show on the road.  My laptop is always with me, so if I have the
lecture or talk in Powerpoint, I don't have to worry about hauling around
slides as well (or making sure my carousel matches the conference's
projector).  I'm also able to augment images with bulleted text in a such a
way that I can use them as mnemonics when giving the talk, freeing me from
stagnant reading from a prepared manuscript.  I also think the augience
appreciates this.  The biggest caveat for talks based on Powerpoint is that
your venue needs to be prepared for this type of lecture, i.e. they have to
have the projectors already mentioned. It hasn't been a problem for me so
far.  For classroom lectures, a short Powerpoint talk can be made available
on your university homepage so that students can have access to the images
for study as well.  I remember in college when I would make hurried drawings
of artifact or painting slides just so I could remember what my notes meant
weeks later when I was preparing for the tests!  I know I would have
appreciated having the teacher's slides.

Best,
Greg

Dr. Gregory Dale Smith
Brookhaven National Laboratory