Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 08:40:25 +0500
> Laura Bauer wrote:
>
> > Hi - I'm trolling for ideas: our museum is hosting the Dinamation dinosaurs
> > this summer in our auditorium. Each dino will be in/on an "island" of rock
> > and artifical plants (on top of plastic sheeting to protect the wooden
> > floor).  We're trying to be "evolutionarily correct", so they will be
> > surrounded mostly by artificial ferns, cycads, conifers and mossy-type
> > things.  I'm trying to figure out what we could use to fill in around the
> > plant bases on the floor.  We're trying to avoid natural materials (wood
> > chips, dried moss, etc...) because we would have to fumigate and fireproof
> > them.  We could use crushed rocks, but they are fairly expensive and heavy.
> > Has anybody out there solved a similar problem or have any brilliant ideas
> > they'd like to share?  Extra challenge: we don't have a big budget and we're
> > getting short on time.  Please respond to:  [log in to unmask]

Laura -
Like San Diego, we use camouflauge netting.  We have a T-Rex right
now and we added fake Christmas tree limbs UNDER the netting and also
pulled the netting over several large and small fake trees.  It has a very
natural effect sort of  mossy-like.  We were loaned the netting by
the National Guard.

Mary Cloud
McAllen International Museum
McAllen, Texas

> Laura,
> Hi. We at the San Diego Natural History Museum have installed many robotic
> exhibits ( both Dinamation and Kokoro) and we have used many of the things you
> have mentioned. We have lately used camouflage netting from the army/navy. It
> is fairly organic looking, usually comes in big pieces, is usually flame
> resistant and/or fire proofed and can be fairly cheap/inexpensive. Sometimes
> you can even chose between "desert storm" tan or northern Europe green. We have
> been able to acquire some through the government surplus program and, of
> course, at army navy surplus stores.
> I hope this helps.
>
> Tim Murray
> Director, Exhibits Department