From:
Sabrina Henneman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:51:30 -0400
Being a Gen-Xer myself, I have to take exception to lumping everyone
together and claiming my generation is arrogant. That is just as
illogical as generalizing that all baby boomers are going to retire just
as soon as they turn 65, which isn't the case.

I wouldn't say that my generation is arrogant. I would say that we are
focused and determined to aim high and do well, using education as a
tool. That is precisely why so many of us Gen-xers in this field are
getting graduate degrees. We take our education seriously and aim to be
professional.  Obviously, in all fields, reality is different than the
ideals we are trained in. But without ideals to strive for (and being
trained in these ideals), we are doomed to accept mediocrity or the
status quo and to live a cynical life with the feeling that it will
always be the way it is now.

I also get the feeling that some folks who have been in the field and
learned from the field are threatened that there are students who have
been trained in professional standards, whether general or specific,
such as museum education, or some other more focused topic. But at least
we're starting off with the basics learned instead having to start from
scratch. These people seem to feel that just because they might not have
had those opportunities and had to learn from scratch, that future
generations must start at 0, too. We are fortunate that there are
programs to train new people in the basics and learn from what is
already known, and their knowledge will grow with real experience.
There wasn't the variety and focus of graduate programs 20-30 years ago,
so we're lucky to have this, not the opposite. I'm sure no one would
quibble with the training conservators receive, so why are we upset that
there's training for other museum careers?

As far as jobs for new grads, those who have limited experience have to
get a job in order to get that experience. Give them a break. Please
remember when you first entered the field and tried to find a job with
limited experience. There may be a lot of new grads, but don't knock all
of us, please. Getting directors jobs might be the ultimate goal for
some, not the immediate. I doubt that most want to go directly into a
director's job with no other experience but school. But who's to say
that their drive and energy might not be a good thing? It might bring in
some new, out of the box ideas to invigorate museums. Look how many
directors are now hired with no museum experience at all - they come
from the business world (completely different). At least a grad. student
knows museums to some extent.

Let's be positive about the future of museums and those who care about
it enough to pursue a career in them. It's a good thing that history,
the humanities, and the arts are desirable to so many people. If no one
cared about them, then there wouldn't be museum jobs for anyone at all,
even those who've been around for awhile.

Sabrina Henneman