From:
Audra Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 17:43:56 -0400
Jerry -
Remembering what industry (and Oh Dear! government) has sold people in the past, I'd check out that adhesive with a conservator before I bought the company line.
Oh, and we were over due for some excitment.

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/20/02 03:58PM >>>
To the "active" Listserve,
I just got back from a 3 week vacation in the wilds of Canada and, my goodness, you people have been busy!
I've been on this list about 4 years (seems like 40 sometimes) and as soon as I came across that "I need a job" thread I thought to myself, oh boy, here we go again. And it did! Well I just finished the 600+ e-mails and all I have to add is this:
Try using Velcro on that Bison hide to attach it to your wall, it's one of the most versatile exhibit materials around. (Attach it to the backing and the wall, not the fur!)
So you've got cuneiform tablets, civil war artifacts, a mummies hand and a squirrel band? I'll see your artifacts and raise you 100 hand made puppets and more Trilobites than I know what to do with. (Ok, so we don't have the hand or the band. Does a shrunken head and some infested stuffed squirrels count?)
As far as I'm concerned, anybody can post whatever they want about anything they want.  Grammar be damned! I sometimes wonder, but I think we're all adults here. Nobody REALLY ever crosses the bad taste line. We all have opinions and with this large of a group we are not always going to get along. I say, "GREAT, GIVE ME MORE! " To all you lurkers out there: Stop lurking and turn this into a "free for all" of information. You have opinions, lets hear 'em!
Ok, where was I..............I posted a question about what adhesive to use for Ethafoam awhile back and some of you folks kindly suggested glue guns or water based contact cement. Well, it's the 21st Century so I went to 3M and asked their adhesive people if they had something better to adhere foam products. They make an adhesive transfer tape #950 that works pretty darn good and is used extensively in the shipping industry. (3M said off gassing shouldn't be a problem.) The shipping crate went out about 4 weeks ago and will return in a few months. I'll let you know how it held up.
So there you have it. Slam me, berate me, make me write bad checks. I don't care. I still love all of you,
Jerry Fahey
Exhibits Designer
S.I.U.E.
University Museum ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: