From:
Margot Jacqz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:06:28 -0500
Primarily a lurker, I do read much of what comes up here and I want to
thank Mike, and John and others for their approach on this topic. The
subject of the exchange that initiated this thread is not uninteresting or
unimportant. My own objection was, shall we say, the tone. On both parts.
We call such to and fro "discussion" or "debate" but there seemed neither
discussion or debate intended.

I am not a museum professional, but am very interested in the institutions
of society and believe deeply in their necessity. I look to you as both an
introduction to new subjects and information, and to illuminate unexpected
views of things I thought I knew pretty well. The best exhibits are visual
and interactive essays - thesis, examination and conclusions. I have never
been swayed by an "argument" that was all conclusions, nor have I
remembered ones that were just stuff, only facts with no guidance.

In this instance I want applaud those who did look beyond the cant to focus
on the important matter of how to look at the subject in a way that
engenders less dogmatic responses and suggest that there is a place in
educational and cultural institutions, through many disciplines to present
controversial issues - ask the questions - and provide guidance in
reviewing the many answers that people have come up with over time. Mike's
points are well made, but what came to mind is that the solutions he has to
come up with would have been vastly different twenty or ten years ago and
are changing as we type.

I'd like to think there is a constituency between the strident groups at
both ends of the political correctness spectra who are trying to do the
best they can in the very grey and often conflicting contexts of family,
school, church, state, and everyday reality. I want to encourage this
constituency to hold the line against those who would prefer to run your
messy life on their absolutist models

Margot Jacqz