From:
Leah Hamann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 16:02:45 -0600
We have increased our school group attendance in the past couple of years.

It seems two major changes contributed to the attendance; craft option
with a tour and an educator and scout newsletter. Both efforts were
focused towards 3rd & 4th graders and scout groups as those are the
easiest sell for us.
School tours are $2 per student or $3 for a tour and a craft that
relates to their visit.

The educator newsletter is mailed directly to each elementary teacher,
and the history teachers in middle schools and high schools in our
county. The newsletter is an 11x17 folded, so 4 pages. We just added a
section, "Local History in the Classroom" which provides some ideas for
them to use in their classroom. The newsletter comes out twice a year
and each time there's a new topic; cemetery research, house history,
oral history, etc. Included in that section is a list for finding
further information and of course our exhibits that relate, our Research
Center, and resources in our Museum Store are listed first!

The scout newsletter is similar, provides information about what's new
at the Musem, info and pictures about fun-filled tours that relate to
badge requirements, and info about any upcoming badge workshops. The
local Boy Scout and Girl Scout Councils distribute them to all the scout
leaders for us.

--
Leah Hamann
Director of Marketing & Special Events

Waukesha County Historical Society & Museum
101 West Main Street
Waukesha, WI 53186-4811

(262) 521-2859 ext.226
www.wchsm.org