From:
Brigida Blasi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 2015 17:03:07 -0700
Hi Mekie,

I started out a few years ago knowing absolutely nothing about CMS until I
got involved with three different cash-strapped nonprofits that all wanted
new websites with different functionalities. I am far from an expert, but
I'm happy to tell you what my experience has been. I think your decision
will weigh heavily on exactly what you want to do and what you already
have. It looks like you already have a dedicated website, so I assume you
are already paying for hosting and your domain name yearly? If these are
not costs to consider, then you are more open with what you can do with CMS
to simply update your look and functionality.

In my opinion, Drupal and Joomla are for more advanced users who have some
experience with graphic design and coding. Omeka and WordPress would both
be good options for you. They both have attractive, user-friendly templates
and lots of plugins for you to be able to produce a nice looking website
with custom functionality. If you already have a host and a domain name,
all you have to do it is build the site and point your domain name to the
new Omeka or WordPress site. The great thing is that you can experiment
with both Omeka and WordPress for free! Go to Omeka.org when you're ready
to build your website, but go to Omeka.net to experiment first. You can do
the same with WordPress by just not making the website you build live. The
really great thing is they are both free unless you want certain paid
plugins (but you can do almost anything you need to with free plugins)

I had to experiment a lot before I figured out which option was right for
each organization. I use GoDaddy, Joomla, and WordPress for different
organizations because they all have different needs. I would really
recommend doing this and trying out all your options with different CMS
programs before you dedicate yourself to one (but of course you can always
change later!). I wish I had known about Omeka a few years ago when I was
trying to figure out Joomla!

Your storage options depend on how you host your website. I don't know who
you are hosting with now or if you plan on switching when you update your
site, but make sure you explore your options here too because you
definitely get more bang for your buck with some companies. I hope I didn't
just make this more confusing, but feel free to email me directly if I can
help. Good luck!

Brie
--
Brigida Blasi
Curator, Sweetwater County Historical Museum