From:
Cass Karl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2011 06:00:32 -0600
Hello all!  I am looking for resources on repairing/restoring historic
brickwork- not just repointing, fixing the actual bricks.  Here's the
story:  There is a 90 year old chimney in my area that is made of a
relatively soft brick, and it is eroding badly.  Some of the bricks are
completely missing, others are so badly pitted as to look like swiss
cheese.  We live in a very humid area with lots of pollution, and the
chimney had been unmaintained for over 20 years, so this is unsurprising to
me.  A group of concerned citizens has asked me to make a general
recommendation about what to do with the structure.  My initial (gut)
feeling is that the amount of original material loss (~15%) is so
significant as to be impractical to repair (the chimney is about 70 feet
tall and about 20' in diameter and sits less than 15 feet from two homes, so
it will be very difficult to access for major work).  There are also
significant concerns that the chimney is a safety hazard (it occasionally
"drops" material from a great height on the homes below).  I would like
to be able to present them with options, but am having trouble finding good
references on this kind of problem.  Any resources or case studies that you
can recommend would be much appreciated.  Thank you!
-Cass