From:
Robin Panza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 09:35:41 -5
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Paula Johnson
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> Has anyone contracted with a copy center to make duplicates of archival
> materials?  For example if a new archaeological collection was accesssioned
> without duplicated records, have you sent out the records to a Kinko's type
> place to have the entire archive photocopied?  (I am talking about 2 filing
> cabinets full)

If you're going to the expense of photocopying, you might look into a service
that makes archival-quality photocopies.  Our library did that for some rare
books that were too deteriorated to really do much conservation work.  The (now
unbound) originals are wrapped and under lock and key, the copy is on the
shelf.

My feeling is that a company that specializes in handling rare and valuable
documents is that much more dependable (re: losing/damaging originals) than the
copy shop down the street.

If interested, contact Bernadette Callery, the museum head librarian at

Robin Panza                     [log in to unmask]
Section of Birds, Carnegie MNH
Pittsburgh  PA  15213  USA