From:
Robin Panza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 09:44:15 -5
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Keller
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> I do not feel that anyone other than the Registrar should have access to the
> files in any manner that allows them to remove a card or delete an entry. A
> read only screen is not as serious a security problem if the researcher does
> not have access to values and other confidential security data. (All three of

One thing that helps in this case is to have duplication.  Our accession forms
have, for many years, been in triplicate.  One copy stays in the department,
another in the director's office, and I have no idea where the third one goes.
This is in addition to the departmental cataloguing of the object.  It would
be very difficult to secretly obliterate all record of an object.

Of course, in natural history (zoology), price info is less of a problem.  I
don't think that information even has a place on the form.

Robin K Panza                   [log in to unmask]
Section of Birds, Carnegie MNH
Pittsburgh  PA  15213  USA