From:
lucysperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2012 12:14:22 -0700
Fiona,

    Our all volunteer historical society found ourselves stretched just to
deal with archival materials about the history of our county, yet we
realized that it's important to have an institutional archive.  This is a
rather pragmatic approach, but we decided to organize our institutional
archive by topic or function, and not to try to enter it into PastPerfect
with the same level of detail that we would other material.  It is stored in
acid-free storage containers (records boxes) with box lists on the outside
of each (i.e. BCHS records 1984 - 1994 financial records / program materials
/ etc. OR  "Minutes 1956 - 1980")  That way if we need to find something it
isn't too difficult, and the records boxes can hold notebooks as well as
file folders, envelopes, etc.  It took one volunteer some time to do it, but
not nearly as long as complete cataloguing.  Also, it allowed a volunteer
who is unable to do regular cataloging to do something useful and
meaningful.  We did give it an accession number so it could be put in as a
single record in PP, with list of contents of each box in the description
field. That way we can show location.  A problem not yet dealt with is
photographs of various meetings and events (the kind with lots of peoples
backsides). These we'll store separately and we'll probably reduce to a few
of the best from each event and ones that show at least one individual well.
These could also be handled via a single record in the Photos catalog
similar to the one in the Archives catalog for the other materials.

Lucy Sperlin

Butte County Historical Society

Oroville,  California

  _____