From:
Shirley Albright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 10:50:23 -0400
Christine:

I've been working with a dedicated cadre of volunteers, 4 of whom have been with me for over a decade!   In spite of their length of service, however, standards and procedures DO change and it is sometimes difficult to keep everybody on the same informational line.  It particularly
becomes difficult if other people in one's organization also supervise volunteers.   Also, if the volunteers were leaders in their former lives or occupations, it is a natural progression for them to assume that role during their volunteerism - an action that can get EVERYONE  into
trouble if it's not firmly but delicately nipped in the bud.

Each of our volunteers is assigned a staff supervisor.  Each is given a handbook of "frequently asked questions" to provide guidance AND to set certain issues straight.  Each is asked to sign for his/her copy - thereby giving the staff some recourse if major infractions take
place.   The part that is really important, however, is that the supervisory staff MUST all concur and agree to participate with the conventions set down in the manual.   Because...both parties (the volunteer and the supervisor) have responsibilities to each other and to other staff
members.  When the manual becomes outdated, revisions are made and copies distributed.

I'm faxing you a copy for your reference to give you an idea of some of the issues we cover.  For us, there will soon be changes because we will have a new Director named.   Change is sometimes traumatic, but I would much rather make the policies crystal clear than to risk having a
volunteer unknowingly set off a "land mine".  Such things DO happen and they can happen faster than the "wink of an eye" and in the most bizarre, unsuspected ways.

As far as volunteers serving on Boards elsewhere, this institution has not experienced any problems although we have many volunteers in such positions.

Good luck!
Shirley Albright
New Jersey State Museum