From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 12:19:25 -0500
At 10:10 AM 11/18/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Okay, now let me start with the fact that I agree with the vast majority of
>what was said in this posting, and a salary "in the low 20's" for a city
>like LA is ridiculous.  But WHY would you "need" a car if you can walk to
>work?  Maybe one of the reasons why so many people complain about low
>salaries is this bizarre belief that an automobile is as necessary as one's
>left arm, and life is impossible without one.  It's particularly ridiculous
>in the case of a city like LA where, I understand, air pollution is
>atrocious!

Wait a min, no one ever said that one always *needs* a car.  From what I
understand of LA, it is a spread out city and public transport isn't the
greatest across town.  DC is like that as well.  Public transport is fine
if you live in the city and stay in the city.  But if you want to go to the
suburbs in VA or MD, you need a car because public transport is majorly
lacking.

Elsewhere in the country, there is no public transport or very limited ones
esp. away from the cities.  And even if you do work in a city, oftentimes
you need to live outside of the city to find affordable housing that isn't
in a crime zone thus you'd need a car to get around.

In Europe, public transport is generally much better (when the workers are
not on strike ;) and one can get around the whole country and from country
to country without having a car fairly easily.  I know many people in
London who don't have cars and don't need them.  I'd love to live in a city
like that.  (*hint* *hint* to any UK people who need a museum ed person.  ;)

Deb

Staples &  Charles Ltd.
225 N Fairfax St.
Alexandria, VA 22314