From:
Helen Glazer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 1995 23:50:40 -0500
Actually, I don't see
art objects as always transcending their contexts
and human settings--not at all!  In fact, I wholeheartedly agree with the
many people on Museum-L
who have commented in the past few days that it is important to have
interpretive materials available for visitors to modern and contemporary
art museums and galleries.  My experience at my gallery is that people
appreciate being cued in to the artist's process and intentions and
having the key themes in the work pointed out. As at the Indianapolis Art
Center, we do this in a booklet accompanying the show.  This leaves the
visitors room to form
their own personal responses to individual works, but provides a starting
place for those who initially find the work puzzling. I am careful to
write them in clear, jargon-free prose.  If I must use any art historical or
theoretical terms I define them in the text or a footnote.  Meanwhile the
viewers who do have an extensive
art background--including artists and yes, art historians, too--also enjoy
reading these things.

 Richard, in your first posting on the subject, I thought you were
arguing that as long as an art object was in its original context, anyone
could go in there and immediately understand it, even without someone
there (or something to read) to help them interpret them. My response was
that no matter where that altarpiece was, in the church or in a
museum somewhere, people from outside that culture were going to need
more information to really grasp its meaning in more than a superficial
way. It sounds like you thought I was also implying that the experience of
seeing it in use as part of an actual shrine was no
different from seeing it in an art museum. I'm not. Meanwhile, I see from
the response below that you and I agree about the necessity of providing
interpretive materials and a variety of ways for visitors to connect what
they're seeing with their own lives and experiences.  You have some
exhibit ideas there that I'd be interested in seeing.

Helen Glazer, Exhibitions Director
Rosenberg Gallery, Goucher College, Baltimore, Maryland