From:
Richard Rabinowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 16:31:02 -0800
I appreciate Helen Glazer's thoughtful response to my posting about perfect
exhibits vs. perfect labels.  Nothing I can now add could bridge the obviously
great gulf between us in defining such terms as art, exhibit, interpretation,
museums, perhaps even religion.  I look at the museumization of select
objects as a historical, social, and intellectual process which inevitably
changes those objects.  One may compare their physical contexts in church
vs. museum, but also (I tried to say) in the narratives that people use to
describe their encounters with such objects.  Perhaps Ms. Glazer sees art
objects as always transcending their contexts and human settings -- that is
certainly a basic tenet of much excellent art historical scholarship, and I
won't take issue with it here.

I do, however, take exception to Ms. Glazer's accusation that I was being
"patronizing to visitors who don't come to the museum with the same
background information that museum curators and scholars might take
for granted."  As my last sentence indicated, I want museums to respect
visitors more than they now do, to take their visitors' prior experience more
and not less seriously.  Indeed, visitors may not know the same things that
curators know; most museums, in fact, don't have a clue to what their
visitors come knowing, nor do they much care.  They measure visitors
entirely by the knowledge that curators have.

Ms. Glazer's example of her children's religious education is a perfect case
of what I mean.  I would love it if museums of Judaica aimed to construct
their object-interpretations as bridges to connect her children's experience
with that of Jews of another time and culture.  In many years of visiting
and working on Jewish museums, I've seen slim evidence of that.  Does
anyone know of a museum of Renaissance paintings whose labels speak to
the religious experience of 15th- or 16th-century worshippers, even insofar
as that experience involved an interaction with these holy objects?  Indeed,
can one find a guidebook or an exhibit about Protestant churches that aims
to explain its physical appearance as a religious, rather than an art or
architectural historical phenomenon?

(I can think of one brilliant exception, which helps prove the rule.  That is
Kings College Chapel, in Cambridge, England, where a brilliant
interpretive exhibit begins by showing how the Tudor building was and is
"about God."  I recommend it as a extraordinary and moving experience.)

But my larger point is that museums too seldom heed whatever knowledge
it is that visitors bring -- whether that is religious, or technical, or politic
al,
or cultural, or whatever.  Instead we yammer at them incessantly, often of
recondite concepts that have no meaning or relevance to them.  We often
speak eloquently of "interactive" exhibits, by which we often mean gadgets
to give visitors even more of this yammering by interacting with their
fingertips.  But we don't listen enough to visitors.  We don't understand that
the most perfect labels are those that visitors "write" while and after they
have been stimulated to thought or moved to feeling by visiting with us.

Far from denying the value of interpretation, I want curators to design
their interpretive efforts to be more attentive to the strengths and
weaknesses that visitors bring with them.  To do this, curators will need to
know more about the 16th century than they now do, and much more about
the 20th century.  They should indeed know what saints meant to 16th-
century Italian Catholics, but also how different is the Protestant notion of
saintliness ("a congregation of saints") or our contemporary notions of "a
holy person."  They might do this better if they saw their work as a dialogue
with contemporary visitors, rather than an effort to make visitors into art
historians.

Richard Rabinowitz, American History Workshop, [log in to unmask]