From:
Teri Knoll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:39:30 -0800
CALIFORNIA ASSOCIATION OF MUSEUMS’ ANNUAL CONFERENCE

The State of Museums: Memory, Vision, Responsibility…

Sacramento, California

July 26-28, 2002

Plan to attend the California Association of Museums’ (CAM) Annual Conference The State of Museums: Memory, Vision, Responsibility….

Join museum professionals from across California in Sacramento July 26-28, 2002. The conference has been designed to provide all participants with the opportunity to encounter and explore timely and important issues facing museums in California and to meet and interact with colleagues from throughout the west.

Museums mean many things to many people. And over the past decade, museums have come to mean much more than they have in the past. The role of museums in society has expanded. Not only are they "institutions devoted to the procurement, care, study and display of objects of lasting interest or value," as defined in Webster’s Third New International Dictionary, but they are safe havens where individuals and families can connect with others, information centers for children and adults offering resources that give context for understanding our world; they are special environments where people may retreat into work, beauty, literature, entertainment, projects or hobbies. At the very least, an open museum is a reassuring sign of normalcy and a stabilizing force in communities across our state. At the most it is a center of community answering the needs of its audience while remaining true to its mission.

This broadening social mission of museums can be quite daunting at times, often leaving institutions scrambling to respond to the greater needs of community. This year’s conference will help museums prepare for the greater demands for their services. From planning programs, to securing funds, to securing facilities and reviewing and disaster plans, sessions will address a variety of issues pertinent to museums today.

The 2002 CAM Conference will be a forum for ideas and issues that will assist museums to enhance the services they currently provide their audiences. Sessions will address a wide range of subjects and the needs of our museum community -- large or small, urban or rural, old or new.

Sessions include:

  a.. Thriving Amid Threat: Shattered Dreams or New Reality?

  b.. Shipping 101…And What’s Different Since 9/11

  a.. Governance and the Board: What Works Best

  b.. Know Your Audience: An Overview of Audience Research

  c.. Disaster Planning for Museums

  d.. Marketing Express: Creating and Executing a Marketing Plan

  e.. Joining Forces: Sustainability Options for Museums in Today’s Environment

  f.. Bidding Your Collections Insurance

  g.. It’s Not Just Marketing, It’s Sales

  h.. The State of Museums in the New Century: Vision and Reality in Year 2

  i.. Strategy for Building the Next Generation of Museums: UC Davis Ctr for Visual Arts

  j.. From Colonialism to Cultural Preservation: American Indian Influence on Museums

  k.. Fund Raising in a New World

  l.. The Community Curates

  m.. California NAGPRA at One Year: Where do we go from here?

  n.. Ready, Set, Go! An Action Plan for Development

  o.. Museums in the Aftermath: From the 1992 Civil Unrest to Today

  p.. Hot Potatoes: Exhibiting Controversial Subject Matter

  q.. Keeping Balanced: Basic Functions of Museum Finance

  r.. Making Connections: Professional Development for Museum Educators

  s.. I Wish I Knew Then What I Know Now: Building a New Museum

  t.. Double Your Results in Half the Time: For Those Who Have Too Much Too Do

  u.. Challenge Competitions: Building Community Through Learning by Doing

Pre-conference Workshops (July 26):

  a.. Leadership Through Diversity: Building Audiences and Strengthening Workforce for Tomorrow’s Museum

  a.. Anoxic Fumigation Workshop

Sacramento is truly a city rich with museums. At this conference, with the support of the Sacramento Association of Museums, we will visit a variety of sites across the city. Outings include a lively progressive dinner at the California Military Museum, California State Railroad Museum, and Discovery Museums; then a brief train trip to the Crocker Art Museum for dessert. Our closing reception will take us to the Golden State Museum.

For more information or to register for the CAM conference, contact the CAM office at 714/542-2611 or visit the CAM web site at www.calmuseums.org.