From:
Milena Placentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 12:03:12 -0400
Martha Hagood Wrote:

> I respectfully disagree.  Some of us have the responsibility of making
> sure  certain announcements (calls for papers, etc.) are posted to all the
> relevant lists.  I *do* have time to do that, because it's important.  A
> successful conference can depend on good communication.  That's one of
> the reasons the professional listservs exist, I think.

Greetings Martha (and other listserv readers),

Reading your post, I understand your concern but I would like to explain what
cross-posting is and why it is poor net ettiquette.

Cross posting is sending a message to more than one list at a time, as you know,
but this can be problematic because depending on how the list is set up, if a
reader clicks "reply" they may reply not only to the list that they are a
memeber of, but also to all of the other groups which means increased traffic
(sometimes of inappropriate content for the other lists).  This happens more
frequently on newsgroups (ie alt.artcom) ... and trust me, when this happens its
horribly annoying because different lists get bombarded with all sorts of
irrelevant responses.

The best way to deal with this problem is to send to one list at a time.  If
this means sending three emails with the same content but each time to a
different list, then that's the way to handle the situation.  This permits each
list to follow its own threads.  If you post the same message to a group about
art theft, a group about paiting and a group about frames even if the original
message would be of interest to everyone, the replies from each group may not
be relevant to the other groups.  The art theft group may not care to hear
questions developing out of the original post concerning frames.

So yes! Send your message far and wide, but send to only one group per email
message.  =-)

I hope this clarifies matters.  If you would like any further information,
please contact me off-list.

Cheers!
Milena Placentile