From:
Barbara Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 12:07:00 PDT
It's not that I question Mr and Mrs Gates' philanthropic motives, but ...
 that would be nearly half the public libraries in the US and Canada (not to
mention their user population) which will be using and learning Microsoft
Internet Explorer (and using Windows environments) instead of Netscape or
Apple systems, or something else.  It's certainly not doing Mr Gates'
business interests any harm.

On the other hand, I fully support any initiative which promotes equity of
access, and it's good to see Mr. Gates giving some of his wealth to benefit
the public.  Our governments probably can't afford to do the same thing, as
nobody wants to pay that much more in taxes.

As for a Gates Museum Foundation, perhaps something along the lines of line
public access terminals in museums, to give access to collection databases
so that people can see objects that aren't on display, and  use interactive
programs as adjuncts to the museum exhibits themselves.  As long as they use
Microsoft software, and of course (as with the existing Microsoft imaging
projects) if Microsoft's resources go into digital imaging of your objects,
they will then own the copyright to those images.

Microsoft might also be interested in sponsoring web pages, but this would
almost certainly mean advertising on your page.  Which museum do you want to
go to today?  : )

Barbara Palmer