From:
Douglas Nishimura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2019 16:02:34 +0000
**Posted on behalf of the University of Delaware Art Conservation Program**

Note that international projects will be considered.

The Department of Art Conservation at the University of Delaware (UD) https://www.artcons.udel.edu/ seeks to help preserve a small (less than 300) collection of photographic prints held in a museum, library, archive or historic house that is in need of conservation treatment and rehousing.

This project will be incorporated into a 3-week graduate-level course in photograph conservation led by Professor Debra Hess Norris. https://www.artcons.udel.edu/faculty/ud-faculty/dhnorris. The work will be done on site at Winterthur Museum. All costs - transportation, treatment and rehousing supplies, time - will be covered by UD. The collection chosen will be shipped in late October for initial examination; treatment will be conducted in January, and the collection returned in February. Past projects have included: (1) the preservation of the W.E.B. DuBois WWII  Photograph Collection at Fisk University, (2) a large collection of 19th-century images depicting Arctic Exploration from the Explorers Club in NYC, and (3) the recovery of 280+ flood-damaged photographs from Wimberley, Texas. See https://www.udel.edu/udaily/2017/january/art-conservation-arctic-explorers-photographs/  and http://www1.udel.edu/udaily/2016/jan/saving-photographs-011516.html for more information.

These projects provide our ten talented graduate students with an opportunity to apply their skills and knowledge to the preservation of significant photographic holdings worldwide. International projects will be considered. Criteria for selection include (1) the significance of the collection locally, nationally or globally, (2) the condition of the collection - ideally these materials will require surface cleaning and some stabilization including binder consolidation, tear mending, flattening, and/or minimal inpainting, (3) the variety of the photographic processes represented, and (4) the learning and teaching  opportunities presented by this work

Given the collection size and time frame, individual reports will not be prepared for every photograph. One larger report will be required with selective individual reports prepared by each of our students. Approval for treatment will be secured in November so that the project can be completed on time. Planning is key. We have estimated that past projects would have costs $25,000 - $40,000. This is a wonderful opportunity for institutions and for our students and a project that I look forward to annually.  Please email me (Debbie Hess Norris, Chair and Professor of Photograph Conservation, University of Delaware)  with questions at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> .

Debra Hess Norris
Chair and Professor of Photograph Conservation
Unidel- Henry Francis DuPont Chair of Fine Arts
Director - Winterthur/UD Program in Art Conservation
Francis Alison Scholar 2019
Art Conservation Department
University of Delaware
303 Old College