From:
Pat Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 13:33:15 -0400
Julie,

To fully make use of the "integrated" portion of integrated pest management (IPM) you need to step back and look at each exhibit building from a pest standpoint. Besides being a shelter from the external environment of extreme heat/cold, rain etc., what is drawing the mice into your buildings? Does the museum staff keep food there? Is there lots of high grass or debris on the outside of the buildings that offer optimum nesting sites?  Besides garage doors and walk-in doors, are there gaps that allow easy entry to rodents inside? (Anything over a ¼" gap can be considered easy entry.)  If you address all of these issues, you will significantly lower the chance of infestation to start with.

With an existing infestation, you need a means to capture and remove the mice living in the cars. As mammals can quickly adapt to sounds and odors when it comes to their survival, sonic devices and aromatic dryer sheets will only deter them for a short time, if at all before they figure out that they can live with this annoyance. I would not recommend putting your efforts into those areas.

You need to ask the question, "What is your institution's philosophy regarding toxic baits?" Baiting programs on the exterior of the building can drastically reduce the rodent pressure trying to get into the building. Traps on either side of each entry door into the exhibit building will help reduce influx from the outside as well. Mice will instinctively look for quick cover to the left or right when they enter an unknown territory.

Much of this information can be found on www.museumpests.net <http://www.museumpests.net/>  as well as other great references. It is certainly worth the visit there.

Regards,

Patrick Kelley

Insects Limited, Inc.