From:
Jim Lyons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2014 12:55:08 -0800
Hi Beth,

For 25 years I was a dealer in historic newspapers and in 1989 wrote the
book, "Collecting American Newspapers", so I may be able to help with your
question.

First of all, here's a link to the chapter of my book called, "Newspaper
And Document Care & Preservation", which I put online as a public service.

http://www.jimlyons.com/Preservation.html

If you'll give me a little more information I may be able to help more.
What years do your newspapers cover?  What's the title?  Roughly, how many
issues are there?  Can you tell if they are on rag paper or newsprint?
(The condition makes me think rag but the "late 19th century" makes me
think newsprint.)

There are a number of fine archival houses online, but I usually use
University Products, mainly because they issue an incredibly useful
catalog.  It's a conservation course (almost) in itself.  The products are
online but curling up with the actual catalog is so much more fun.  Here's
their URL:

http://www.universityproducts.com/

Also, in addition to putting the Preservation chapter of my book online, I
also put the chapter called, "How To Detect Reprints, Copies and
Forgeries", which may be of interest to Museum-L members who have questions
about any newspapers or documents in their collections.  Perhaps it will be
of interest to somebody on the site.

http://www.jimlyons.com/reprinttitle.htm

I hope this will be of some help.

-Jim