From:
Heleanor Feltham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 09:13:00 PDT
Actually the exegesis of the idea that education can only work if it is
entertaining goes back at least as far as the Elizabethan poet/militarist,
Sir Phillip Sydney, and was the basis of Thomas More's method of teach his
daughters Greek.  It probably goes back much further - most pre-literate
cultures use dance, music, poetry, puppetry and other basic entertainment
techniques to transmit knowledge and culture.  Why do we have to try and
make learning so dull?  Thomas Aquinas thought that the mind engaged in the
process of reasoning was one of the truly great turn-ons.  Pity we've become
such puritans that we can't have fun with it, and take our knowledge like a
dose of castor oil

Heleanor  (again)