From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 14:01:42 -0400
On 6/2/05, Andrew Schuricht <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'm not so sure that the venerable SI was fooled on this one.

Oh I think they ended up with a bunch of egg on their face for this
one. First, they completely forgot about their policy that anything
screened at the SI is technically co-sponsored by them. It's a BIG
difference from just being a rental venue open to anyone without
endorsement such as if the Discovery Institute rented the museum for
their Christmas party like other any other corporation or private
party.

Secondly, to cover their butts, they back-peddle and say that the
movie is NOT consistent with their mission and they will not take the
donation but honor the contract. This says to me at least, that the SI
is NOT paying close attention to what goes on at their museum or has a
very ignorant staff who obviously hasn't been watching the news since
ID is a hot topic all over the country right now. Now the special
events/rentals department that handles the museum rentals is
completely separate from the curatorial staff (even on different pay
rolls), but wouldn't you think that they would at least run it by some
of the scientists on staff to make sure it's at least a scientifically
sound movie, consistent with the SI's mission "for the increase and
diffusion of knowledge" - ESPECIALLY since the event will technically
be co-sponsored by the museum itself?

So in summary, if the NMNH has the policy of just being a rental venue
without sponsorship, then I say they can show whatever movie they
want. But because they have this policy of being "co-sponsors", they
need to be extra careful of what they allow to be shown at the museum
and their special events/museum rental staff need to be more on the
ball at screening who rents their facility, including running things
by knowledgable curators or other staff members before signing
contracts.

deb