Date:
Sun, 5 Jun 2005 07:00:28 -0400
I completely agree with your assessment of the seriousness of the
overall problem.

I was speaking, perhaps too obliquely, to the importance of accepting
responsibility for one's own actions.

If the Washington Post is correct, the film was reviewed by senior
science staff:

"Bruce Chapman, president of the Discovery Institute, says staffers at
the Smithsonian's special events office told him they had screened the
film for content on two occasions. An e-mail from Debbie Williams from
the Office of Special Events at the Museum of Natural History, which he
forwarded to The Post, states that the film was "reviewed by the
Associate Director for Research and Collections of the Smithsonian
National Museum of Natural History, and approval was granted for the
film to be screened." (Williams did not return a message left on her
office voice mail.)"

-- Nguyen, Tommy. "Smithsonian Distances Itself From Controversial
Film." Washington Post. 2 June 2005: C1.

A quick search of the journal Science turns up ten news stories or
editorials commenting on 'intelligent design' in just the last eight
months, so I think it's safe to assume that the Associate Director for
Research and Collections has heard of the concept.

That is why I suggested that the sponsorship was more likely 'senior
administrators trying to push something through'. I am not suggesting
that the AD-RC was necessarily the prime mover - the story reports two
reviews - but obviously he approved the result.

-L.D.