From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2012 16:41:37 -0700
Pittsburgh's original Buhl Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science (which opened as the nation;s fifth major planetarium on 1939 October 24) was originally opened with a freight elevator which served only three levels of the multi-level building. As part of a major ADA overhaul of the building in 1982, the elevator was upgraded to passenger standards, for use by the disabled. The elevator also added service to an additional building level (the Great Hall on the first floor).

The funding for all of the ADA improvements came from a special state grant, which was funneled through the city to Buhl Planetarium.

Although your elevator is used by the disabled, you may seek public funding so that it truly meets ADA specs.

gaw

Glenn A. Walsh, Project Director,

Friends of the Zeiss < http://friendsofthezeiss.org >

Electronic Mail - < [log in to unmask] >

SpaceWatchtower Blog: < http://spacewatchtower.blogspot.com/ >

SPACE & SCIENCE NEWS, ASTRONOMICAL CALENDAR:

  < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/#news >

Twitter: < http://twitter.com/spacewatchtower >

Facebook: < http://www.facebook.com/pages/SpaceWatchtower/238017839577841?sk=wall >

Author of History Web Sites on the Internet --

* Buhl Planetarium, Pittsburgh:

  < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com >

* Adler Planetarium, Chicago:

  < http://adlerplanetarium.tripod.com >

* Astronomer, Educator, Optician John A. Brashear:

  < http://johnbrashear.tripod.com >

* Andrew Carnegie & Carnegie Libraries:

  < http://andrewcarnegie.tripod.com >

* Civil War Museum of Andrew Carnegie Free Library:

  < http://garespypost.tripod.com >

* Duquesne Incline cable-car railway, Pittsburgh:

  < http://inclinedplane.tripod.com >

* Public Transit:

  < http://andrewcarnegie2.tripod.com/transit >