From:
Helen Alten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 2009 06:27:17 -0400
MS201: Storage for Infinity: An Overview of Museum Storage Principles
Dates: Aug 31 - Oct 9, 2009
Price: $425
Instructor: Helen Alten
Location:  online at www.museumclasses.org

Storage for Infinity covers everything you need
to know to limit damage to stored collections.
Participants will learn about building new
storage areas and retrofitting existing space.
Other topics include constructing support mounts
and storage security. The material emphasizes
philosophy and planning, handling, materials and techniques.

Course Outline:
1. Introduction
2. Storage Philosophy
3. Agents of Deterioration and Preservation Planning
4. Storage Facilities
5. Storage Furniture
6. Preparing Collections for Storage
7. Storage Materials
8. Storage Mounts
9. Storage of Specific Collections
10. Funding Improvements
11. Conclusion

Logistics:
Participants in Storage for Infinity work at
their own pace through 11 sections. Instructor
Helen Alten is available at scheduled times
during the course for email support. Materials
include PowerPoint lectures, reading materials
and lecture notes. Supporting resources include
message forums, weekly online chats projects,
quizzes and links to relevant web sites. The
course is limited to 20 participants.

Storage for Infinity runs six weeks. To reserve a
spot in the course, please pay at
<http://museumclasses.org/training/http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html>http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html
If you have trouble please contact Helen Alten at [log in to unmask]

Student Comments from MS201: Storage for
Infinity: An Overview of Museum Storage Principles:
My first online class. I plan to do more.

I am so glad that you offered this course. I found it very beneficial.

The most valuable part of the class will be the
reference book I compiled with all the lectures,
forums, assignments, additional readings, etc.
This class contained a staggering amount of
information … Something like this is much more
accessible, no travel expenses or 'lost' work time.

The layout of the web site made perfect sense to
me. The flow of it was easy to follow and it was
nice to be able to see what things had transpired/been posted.

You seem very approachable and knowledgeable,
Helen. This was a good opportunity for meeting new colleagues and networking.

You could not have decided to offer a course any
more relevant to the precise issues that our
institution is currently dealing with. Tons of
detailed info. and a lot of practical help that
will actually be useful in daily operations.

This was my first online class and I believe that
it was quite a success thanks to the organization
that was provided by yourselves. I did not know
what to expect but both of you have surely set a
very high standard of excellence in online courses.

The Instructor:
Helen Alten, is the Director of Northern States
Conservation Center and its chief Objects
Conservator. For nearly 30 years she has been
involved in objects conservation, starting as a
pre-program intern at the Oriental Institute in
Chicago and the University Museum of the
University of Pennsylvania. She completed a
degree in Archaeological Conservation and
Materials Science from the Institute of
Archaeology at the University of London in
England. She has built and run conservation
laboratories in Bulgaria, Montana, Greece, Alaska
and Minnesota. She has a broad understanding of
three-dimensional materials and their
deterioration, wrote and edited the quarterly
Collections Caretaker, maintains the popular
www.collectioncare.org web site, lectures
throughout the United States on collection care
topics, was instrumental in developing a
state-wide protocol for disaster response in
small Minnesota museums, has written, received
and reviewed grants for NEH and IMLS, worked with
local foundations funding one of her pilot
programs, and is always in search of the perfect
museum mannequin. She has published chapters on
conservation and deterioration of archeological
glass with the Materials Research Society and the
York Archaeological Trust, four chapters on
different mannequin construction techniques in
Museum Mannequins: A Guide for Creating the
Perfect Fit (2002), preservation planning,
policies, forms and procedures needed for a small
museum in The Minnesota Alliance of Local History
Museums' Collection Initiative Manual, and is
co-editor of the penultimate book on numbering
museum collections (still in process) by the
Gilcrease Museum in Oklahoma. Helen Alten has
been a Field Education Director, Conservator, and
staff trainer. She began working with people from
small, rural, and tribal museums while as the
state conservator for Montana and Alaska. Helen
currently conducts conservation treatments and
operates a conservation center in Charleston, WV and St. Paul, MN.