From:
Jim Kajpust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 14:26:15 -0500
It's interesting to see the range of replies on this subject. There were
several who really got into the scientific details of sand. For the
question asked I would think that none of that really matters. It's one
of those forest and trees kind of problems.

After all, if you're trying to give the average person an estimate of a
quantity of sand, a bathtub full, no matter what the type of sand, is
going to be close enough. Maybe the Oolitic sand bathtub is smaller
than the quartz sand bathtub?

> Gene Dillenburg asked:
>
> >I'm writing labels about parrotfish for an aquarium.   Parrotfish eat
> algae
> >on rocks and corals.  To get at the algae, they chomp off bits of rock and
> >coral.  Their digestive system grings these up into fine sand.  A single
> >parrotfish can produce up to 500 kg. sand per year.
>
> >I want to put that into human terms.  How many gallon milk jugs?  How many
> >two-liter pop bottles?  How many bathtubs?  Something.  But I need to know
> >how much volume 500 kg. of sand would take up.

Jim Kajpust - Personal Responsibility - Personal Freedoms
Michigan - http://www.concentric.net/~jkajpust

Museum-L" (without the quotes).