From:
"Zickuhr, Kristine" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 2009 09:38:35 -0500
John,

I think the wording of your policy opens you up to those gray areas.  In
my understanding the photographer owns copyright since he created the
image, so he can do anything he would like with it.  If you had a signed
agreement with him before he took the photo it'd be a different story.
Is your policy printed on anything that might be seen as a contract,
such as an admission ticket that he purchased?  I think the best
approach is not to create hard feelings, especially if you don't have a
solid legal basis.  Look for the benefit to the museum, such as asking
him to identify your site so you can get some publicity.

Kris Zickuhr

Registrar

Wisconsin Veterans Museum