From:
Amy Douglass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 1994 15:38:00 -0700
I would like to throw my ideas into the discussion about library/arhives
user fees.  First, I think the discussion has gotten side-tracked from
the original issue, which was the charging of a user fee by an archives
for research services.  This is separate from the issue of charging an
admissions fee to general museum visitors.

Second, I would agree that tax-payers should not have to pay twice IF
they have already paid for the services they are requesting.  But have
they really?  It is not the taxpayers, but government officials who
allocate the funds to the various departments and agencies which render
services to the public.  Often, these officials do not have a realistic
idea about what those agencies do (particularly in the case of cultural
institutions - they often are operating with stereotypical models which
are outdated and do not reflect the realities of a fast-changing
profession).  If taxpayers want these services, then it is their respon-
sibility to communicate that to those holding the purse strings and make
sure that monies are properly allocated.  If not, then they should be
willing to pay a user fee.  Either way, they're going to have to pay
more.

Third, let's be real about this.  Charging 10 cents per page for photocopies
and five dollars or under as a user fee is hardly going to "perpetuate
elitism", as has been claimed in this discussion.  Special provisions could
be made for students and other researchers who simply could not afford even
such a small fee.  Most of us (and I don't include myself among the rich)
can afford $5.  If you can afford to go to a movie, or pay for a sandwich
for lunch once in a while, you can afford a modest user fee.

Fourth, this discussion list is intended for just that - discussion.  We
should be able to express differences of opinion without taking things
personally or getting hot under the collar.  So let's all chill out.
The weekend's almost here!

By the way, the opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily
represent those of the Tempe Historical Museum.

Amy Douglass
Tempe Historical Museum