From:
Susan Shore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2007 07:43:23 -0500
Judy:
I am a little surprised by the title of this thread, I guess I was
expecting some more 'doom and gloom' in museum world. It sounds to me
what the Paley Center for Media is doing is responding to its
community and encouraging not only visitation to look at the history
of a medium of communication, but engaging that same community in
serious dialogue about the future of communication. Isn't that what
we are all about?  The "SO WHAT?" factor is clearly being addressed
here, and I don't think we have to worry too much about the
deterioration of collections as such. Though I do not have direct
personal knowledge, I cannot imagine that the institution would
neglect the archives solely in favor of its public face. The two must
work together, and I think we all need to acknowledge the changing
face of museums in order to meet societal changes and still actively
participate in it.

Thanks for distributing the article - I hope that it generates some
continuing discussions of the contemporary function of museums!

Sue Shore
Manager of Education Programs
Lubbock Lake Landmark
Museum of Texas Tech University