From:
Juetian Luo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2012 23:54:34 +0800
Dear colleagues,

We are trying to get insurance coverage for our collection. I have a
question: Is your museum's collection insured by commercial insurance
agency? If so, do you buy insurance for all of your collection (i.e., 100%
of the colln)? It is expensive to insure our entire collection of about
160,000 artefacts. We are thus reviewing how we could optimally insure the
collection without paying through our nose.

Does your museum have insurance coverage for a predetermined number of
artefacts and not the entire colln? (or buy insurance only for a fraction
of the collection's valuated price?

I would like to have a sense of how other museums do it that will not
compromise our obligation of accountability as custodian to the colln. I
hope it's convenient for you to share a short note with me on what your
museums do. I will also be happy if you wish to point me to any articles on
this topic.

I look forward to your advice, on or off line, whichever suits you better.

Thank you in advance!

- A registrar in distress.