From:
Larry Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2012 16:58:58 -0500
Hi Michael:

Having once been Director of an institution similarly saddled with the
X. X. Xxxxxxx Library and Research Center, I can feel your pain.

I think that what it comes down to is what do you hope your guests _do_
within the incredible resource that you have. For me it is about
defining and then identifying a place where your guests can undertake an
exciting journey of investigation, discovery, and understanding that can
have deep personal meaning and potentially change their lives. On the
occasions when I have visited the Milwaukee County Historical Society
(yep I lived in the great state of Wisconsin), I found, like with many
other institutions, that the Library and Archives are clearly _not_ part
of the guest experience. Of course my own institution at the time
suffered terribly from this with guests having to actually drive to a
separate facility to access our Research Center.

Perhaps a way to look at this challenge is to develop a portion of your
guest experience that introduces and explains the role of the Research
Library and the wondrous discoveries that await a guest who wishes to
explore it. I am currently working with an institution that is quite
similar to yours and, among other things, helping to develop their newly
redefined research center (yet to be named). In our planning we have
created an opportunity for the archives and library to become part of
the guest experience, first as an exhibition element and then as a
research center.

I would suggest that you make the Library a "weenie" - a visual magnet
that rewards guests for making the journey to see it. Don't just
consider changing the name or slapping up a label, but instead
communicate with visual literacy - make good use of all of the
non-verbal means of communication to identify this place and what
happens here. Consider color, shape, form, sound, and texture as you
_invite_ your guests in.

Avoid Overload - Resist the temptation to tell them all there is to know
about the Research Center. Try not to force the guest to swallow more
than they can digest, try to stimulate and provide guidance to those who
want more.

Most of all, Know Your Audience - Don't assume they know what you know.
Provide the story and the tools so that they can discover something they
didn't know about themselves or their past. It is important for the
guest to be successful, if only in a small way. Once they have achieved
and celebrated that success you will have them knocking at your door to
return.

Good luck and I can't wait to hear how your adventure works out!

Larry Fisher
Planning and Design for Museums and Cultural Institutions
Bristol, RI
(401)253-5335