From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:29:47 -0600
Christina,

We do not currently do so, but it is often a good idea. Our volunteers do
not currently have any access to to secure areas or sensitive information,
so it is not seen as a necessity.

As long as it is part of your institutional policy, and it is applied
universally, then it should not be an issue. Volunteers should not be
offended unless they feel they are being discriminated against or they have
something they do not want you to know.

I would suggest, if you do make it policy, to spell out all the details of
how you will check their backgrounds, why, and what the results may be in
the policy itself. You should also run any such policy by legal counsel
before its implementation.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             Christina Hirn
             <mergaite76@YAHOO
             .COM>                                                      To
             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]
             discussion list                                            cc
             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject
                                       Volunteer Background Checks

             01/20/2004 11:19
             AM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

Good Afternoon,

We are in the process of revising our volunteer policies and looking at
other institutions.  The questions I have are:

Does your institution require background checks for all volunteers?
If this is a new policy, did you go back and check current volunteers or
only new applicants?
If you did check current volunteers, how was it received by the volunteers?
Was it
worthwhile?  Did it cause any offense?

Thank you for your assistance,

Christina Hirn