From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:51:54 -0600
Richard,

If you want to be conservative, you list the other cultural and educational
institutions in your region/state as your competitors. Perhaps filtered by
type, size, and demographics. That is probably the best result for your
organizational review.

If you want to be realistic, our competitors are (as Lana put it)
everything. Unfortunately, our cultural institutions do not tend to be the
biggest attractors in our communities. If we can find a way to make
ourselves more attractive to kids than X-box/Playstation, and more
attractive to adults than sports and bars, we will be more powerful than
the IRS. The person(s) who figure that out will also be immediately
deified.

Probably a mixture of the two would be suitable, if trying to express to
someone the difference between who/what you want to compete with and
who/what you really compete with.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             Richard Fields
             Sent by: Museum                                            To
             discussion list           [log in to unmask]
             <[log in to unmask]                                          cc
             SE.LSOFT.COM>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Who do museums and historic sites
             01/21/2004 08:43          compete with?
             PM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

We are in the process of an organizational review.  As
part of the process, we need to identify who or what
our competiters are.  As we are a museum and historic
site, the obvius come to mind (TV, movies, amusement
parks etc.), but I thought I would post the query here
for a more in depth evaluation. Any thoughts anyone?

=====
Richard A. Fields
1729A North County Line Rd
Fort Gibson, OK 74434