From:
Deborah O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 2010 12:35:38 -0400
Hello,

We wondering if anyone had a standard formula for calculating the
percentage of a museum membership that is tax deductible. Like most
museums, we offer benefits to people who join and have pegged the
number of benefits to the level of membership. Do any of you who work
in development or membership have a formula that you use to determine
the value of those benefits received?  We are concerned that if we
estimate a high value to member benefits then the amount of the
membership that is tax-deductible becomes very low. As a result,
membership in the museum would not be very attractive.

Thank you,

Deborah O'Neill
Director of Education
Mount Vernon Hotel Museum & Garden