From:
Kim Hanninen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 2015 20:11:23 -0400
Hi Jodi -

Since 1991, we have been using Sherwin Williams Pro Mar 200 Flat.   I am
the registrar/preparator and have 3-4 volunteer husbands (their wives are
docents or store volunteers) who help me 3 to 4 times a year with
exhibition changeover.  They do wall painting and pedestal painting.  We
use flat for everything.  No sheen when lit and easy to touch up and
clean.  We rotate between Dover White to Silhouette (dark grey).
Eventually we have to do a full coat on the walls, but often times, I can
get away with small touch-ups and save the guys for pedestals or just give
them a break.  To do my touch-ups I use one of those mini roller kits.  The
Sherwin Williams person told me for touch-ups to go one nap length lower
than what is on the wall.  I use the mini with a fairly dry amount of paint
and it works perfectly.

Sometimes we have used a color - various reds, blues, purple, green - and
that usually requires a good coat of primer before we do a couple of coats
of the new top coat color.

We do not close the museum down for painting, as we have two permanent
galleries for viewing and a museum store.  We charge admission and at
exhibit change times, we usually charge half price.

Yes, the fumes can be annoying, but I've done it for over 20 years and
don't really notice it anymore.  The primer gets to me, but is used
infrequently.  Personally I think the low VOC paint has a funny smell.  We
always have a staff member or two who make comments about the smell, but
they know the schedule and can always take the day off if it's that much of
a problem.  I/We have a specific window of time to get the work done and I
don't keep my volunteers working after hours.  The paint dries quickly in
our building and the fumes are gone usually within a day.  By then we are
cleaned up and starting to work on the layout of the exhibit.

Your painter is correct about the annoying roller lines.  With 3-4
volunteers I always end up with some lines - no two painters load paint on
their roller the same.  I keep telling them to not roll until the roller is
dry, but sometimes it happens.  If you roll on a good heavy coat of paint
and not break for lunch without getting to a corner, the line issue should
be alright.  It's all in the technique and flat is the least to show errors.

No matter how careful or persnickety I am about the final product, I will
always worry over minor details.  All you can do, is the best possible job
and remember that the work on hung on the wall is why you have people
visiting your facility.

Hope some of this helps.

Kim Hanninen
Registrar/Preparator