From:
"Book, Victoria" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2010 14:44:44 -0500
Hi Liz,

I supervised an object during filming for a History Detectives episode when I worked at another institution.  I couriered the object to the filming location (a third-party's home), provided gloves, pointed out vulnerable spots, gave brief handling instructions, and generally tried to stay out of the way-stepping in when the crew did something unsafe or inappropriate (which happened probably 10 times in the 2 hour time frame).  That said, the most troublesome person was the host, who stroked the object at every opportunity.

My advice is to be very clear about what you expect (who will handle, and how; if the object is light-sensitive ask to minimize bright lights [e.g. using a flash slave, or covering papers/photos when not shooting], and being careful with tripods and cords) and give it to them ahead of time.  I'd say have them sign something, but I don't think you will have any recourse if they don't do as you say anyway.  Then, provide them with anything they might need (hand tools, gloves, table covers (possibly cut to size to be discrete)) and be friendly, flexible and creative as needed.  They will ignore you totally if you say 'no' to everything.

In the finished episode, I thought the host looked a little too relaxed with a 5,000 year old organic object, and I would have liked them to have handled it with more professionalism and respect-but the exposure to the museum and object was worth it.  We exist to share our knowledge and collections, right? We thought  that only other museum professionals would notice anything inappropriate (and probably not be too judgmental), and they didn't cause any short-term damage.

Feel free to contact me for more juicy details, but congrats on the pending and free exposure.  Good luck!
Victoria

Victoria Book
Chief Conservator
Gilcrease Museum