From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 09:35:11 -0500
At 04:45 PM 4/2/2002, you wrote:
>Currently our policy regarding purchasing deaccessioned materials at
>auction reads:
>
>"No objects to be deaccessioned can be acquired privately by any staff,
>volunteer, board member, or committee member of the Society unless
>acquired by purchase at a public sale of such objects or through other
>means of public disposal."
>
>Is this standard and ethical practice? It is my understanding that anyone
>associated with an institution should not knowingly purchase deaccessioned
>materials from that institution because it was a conflict of interest.

Our deaccessioning policy currently reads:

No deaccessioned object may be acquired by any Commission employee,
volunteer, or trustee, or by their representatives.

In addition, the section on collecting by trustees, currently awaiting
final approval, reads:

Collection objects deaccessioned by the Commission may not be acquired by
or for any member of the board of trustees.  EXPLANATION:  Although
deaccessioned collections may, under certain circumstances, be sold at a
public sale, their purchase by a trustee could lead to an inference that
they were deaccessioned as part of a deal to allow the trustee to acquire
them, contrary to the public trust of the Commission.

Anne