From:
Matthew Whitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2022 16:30:04 -0500
Hello everyone,

On behalf of the entire team, I would like to warmly invite you to join us
this evening live from NYC via Zoom (7pm ET / 4pm PT) for our weekly free
and interactive tour.

This week’s is: #110 Considering Art: Considering Debris - featuring urgent
work by Leilah Babirye.

Leilah Babirye’s (she/her)
<https://www.stephenfriedman.com/artists/66-leilah-babirye/>
multidisciplinary practice transforms everyday materials into objects that
address issues surrounding identity, sexuality and human rights. The artist
fled her native Uganda to New York in 2015 after being publicly outed in a
local newspaper. In spring 2018 Babirye was granted asylum with support
from the African Services Committee and the NYC Anti-Violence Project.

Composed of debris collected from the streets of New York, Babirye’s
sculptures are woven, whittled, welded, burned and burnished. Babirye’s
choice to use discarded materials in her work is intentional – the
pejorative term for a gay person in the Luganda language is ‘ebisiyaga’,
meaning sugarcane husk. “It’s rubbish,” explains Babirye, “the part of the
sugarcane you throw out.” The artist also frequently uses traditional
African masks to explore the diversity of LGBTQI identities, assembling
them from ceramics, metal and hand-carved wood; lustrous, painterly glazes
are juxtaposed with chiselled, roughly-textured woodwork and metal objects
associated with the art of blacksmithing. In a similar vein, Babirye
creates loosely rendered portraits in vivid colours of members from her
community.

Describing her practice, Babirye explains: “Through the act of burning,
nailing and assembling, I aim to address the realities of being gay in the
context of Uganda and Africa in general. Recently, my working process has
been fuelled by a need to find a language to respond to the recent passing
of the anti-homosexuality bill in Uganda.”

In this tour, we embark on some close looking.

Together we ask: What do you see?

Register below for your FREE e-TICKET(s)

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/451947375767

All the very best,

Matthew

You make this.

https://considering.art

***

Up next.

NOV 15 | #111 Considering Art : Considering Recollection | Michael Armitage

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/465269502607

***

About your facilitator:

mark (they/them) <https://www.linkedin.com/in/markjohnsmith/> To date,
their work informs cultural strategy at Arts Council UK, the British
Broadcasting Corporation (BBC History, BBC Learning and BBC Radio), the
Beaney Museum, Canterbury City Council, GOV.UK, Kent County Council, the
London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. Tate Galleries, Artists Space,
Bureau of General Services Queer Division, The LGBT Community Center NYC,
MAPP International, The New School, The New York Public Library, Village
Alliance Inc, Volta Art Fair, International Olympic Committee and the Tokyo
2020/21 Olympic and Paralympic Games. mark is a proud member of the
LGBTQIA2S+ community and an advocate for the transformative power of art
and culture for all.

***

Together - Let's take another look.

Learning & Teaching Resources

Incomplete BLM Reading List
<https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1vJTfZMZvrh3sEpF6unAdi8ZUDYAkgzUt>
| Curated Bookshelf <https://bookshop.org/shop/considering-art>

Get Social - we love hearing from you - you make this

Instagram <https://www.instagram.com/considering.art/> | Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/Considering.Art> | LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/considering-art/?viewAsMember=true>

We are excited to meet you.

https://considering.art

--

Considering.Art™
Your voice. Your idea.

The contents of this email
message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and
may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally
protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this
message or their agent, or if this message has been addressed to you in
error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete
this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of
this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.