From:
Julia Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:24:30 -0400
Although it wasn't a museum, the art center where I worked had two
mascots.  Art Ducko was, as expected, a giant duck with green and blue
feathers.  The least senior staff member was generally tasked with
wearing the hot, smelly costume on open house days and the annual art
fair.  Art Ducko was "retired" in about 1991 when the costume fell
apart.  Then, during major building projects in 1993-96 and again in
2004-05, we created a character called "Art" derived from an element in
the institution's logo.  Art, who only existed graphically, appeared on
signage updating visitors on the progress of the construction,
highlighting the activities that week and providing information such as
alternate ways to enter the building if necessary.  Since I left I heard
that Art was being considered to become a costumed character but I don't
know if that every happened.  He was pretty cute.

Julia Muney Moore

Public Art Administrator

Blackburn Architects, Indianapolis, IN

(317) 875-5500 x230